We left over lemons a few weeks ago so we decided to try a new recipe. Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins from Two Peas and Their Pod. These were yummy but we warned they taste best in the first day or 2.
- 2/3 cup sugar
- grated zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 2 cups Gold Medal all purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup sour cream or plain Greek yougurt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 stick unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 2 TBSP poppy seeds
For the icing
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 2-3 TBSP fresh lemon juice
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees and place12 paper muffin cups into a regular sized muffin pan.
2. Melt your butter and set aside to cool.
3. In a large bowl rub the sugar and lemon zest together with your fingertips.
4. Whisk in the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
5. In a small bowl whisk the sour cream or Greek yogurt, eggs vanilla , lemon juice and melted butter together until well blended.
6. Pour the liquid ingredients over the dry ingredients and gently stir to blend. Don’t over-mix!
7. Stir in the poppy seeds.
8. Divide batter evenly among muffin cups.
9. Bake for 18-20 minutes or until the tops are golden and a thin knife inserted into he center of the muffin comes out clean.
10. Transfer the pan to a rack and cool for 5 minutes before carefully removing each muffin
11. Cool muffins completely before icing them.
To Make the Icing:
Put the confectioners sugar in a small bowl and add 1 1/2 TBSP of lemon juice. Stir with a spoon until sugar is mixed. Add enough additional lemon juice a dribble at a time until the icing is thin enough to drizzle from the tip of a spoon.