For Groundhogs day we made a fun little treat. Pop up groundhog cookies like the ones found on She Knows Food & Recipes.
In order for it to be safe for my munchkins I had to make them nut free. Here is our recipe (Thanks to the wonderful Taylor family!)
Peanut Free No Bakes
- 1 stick of butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3 cups oatmeal
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup coconut
- Place first 4 ingredients in a pot (Butter, sugar, cocoa and milk)
- Place on stove and heat to a boil stirring continually.
- Once boil continue boiling for 1 minute.
- Remove from heat and add the remaining ingredients.(Oatmeal, vanilla and coconut)
- Mix well and drop by the teaspoonful onto wax paper.
- Let cool and set
- 2 inch cake dowel cut into 2 inch segments
- 1 batch of no bake cookie dough
- various sprinkles (round for eyes and rounded rectangles for teeth)
- melting chocolate or melted chocolate chips
- E. L. Fudge dark chocolate cookies
- tootsie rolls
- edible marker (black is best but as you can see whatever you have on hand works!)
- black frosting for nose (*or use melted chocolate)
1. Mound no bake dough around dowel to form a circle. Then let cool thoroughly.
2. While cookies are cooling form your groundhogs. Warm a tootsie roll in your hand or microwave and shape. Add sprinkles for eyes and teeth and use either frosting or chocolate to create the nose.
3. Once cooled pretend you are King Arthur pulling out the sword in the stone (Perhaps we have watched a bit too much Merlin lately!) and gently twist/pull out the dowel.
4. Place chocolate on cookie and then line up your “dirt mound” with the hole in the cookie. Then place your groundhog down into it’s den.
6. Now play with your food! Let the groundhog pop up and decide if he see’s his shadow or not!