Did you celebrate anything fun this weekend? Lots to choose from Chinese New Year, Groundhog’s Day or the Super Bowl!
We had a great Chinese New Year’s Feast. First up was Baked Sweet and Sour Chicken. I found this recipe at Life in the Lofthouse
Baked Sweet and Sour Chicken
recipe from: Life in the Lofthouse
- 3-4 chicken breasts
- salt & Pepper
- 1 cup cornstarch
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1/4 c canola oil
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 4 TBSP ketchup
- 1/2 cup distilled white vinegar
- 1 TBSP soy sauce
- 1 tsp garlic salt (*optional we left it out)
- Cut chicken breast into bite sized cubes.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Dip chicken into the cornstarch to coat and then dip into the eggs.
- Start preheating your oven to 325 degrees.
- Heat your 1/4 cup oil in a large skillet and cook your chicken until browned but not cooked through.
- Place chicken in a greased 9×13 baking dish.
- Mix your Sweet and Sour Sauce by whisking together the sugar, ketchup, vinegar and soy sauce.
- Pour sauce evenly over the chicken.
- Bake chicken for 1 hour stirring the chicken and sauce every 15 minutes.
Next on our menu was Lo Mein.(Noodles for a long life!) I used a recipe from The Wholesome Dish I did make a few changes to fit our family. Since we were already cooking chicken I left it out of the dish. I also omitted the garlic, onion and red pepper flakes. I can’t say as I have ever had Lo Mein before but this dish was a winner with my husband and said it was like the real deal 🙂 The munchkins were not a fan of it because of the texture.
The final 2 dishes of the night were Fried Rice and orange slices (Orange is a symbol of good luck in the New Year!).
For games we played Rock Paper scissors. 2 people start at the bottom of the stairs and play a round of Rock, Paper, Scissors. The winner gets to move up a step before moving on to the next round. The winner of the whole game is the first person to make it to the top of the stairs.
Our second game was marshmallow pick up with chopsticks. (Eating marshmallows at the end was the best part!)