Here is a quick easy recipe for good old Fashion play dough. We have tried other recipes but this is the one I ALWAYS come back to. It lasts a LONG time as long as you store it in an airtight container, doesn’t get crumbly and I love the smooth texture.
Ready to give it a try?
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 cup salt
- 2 tsp cream of tartar
- 2 TBSP vegetable oil
- 1 cup water
- a few drops of food coloring
1. Place 1 cup flour in saucepan
2. Add 1/2 cup of salt to saucepan
3. Next add 2 tsp cream of tartar to pan
4. Add 2 TBSP vegetable oil
5. Combine 1 cup of water with a few drops of food coloring
6. Add to saucepan and place on stove
7. Turn heat to medium and stir continuously until mixture thickens and holds together in a mass. (Please forgive me for the terrible pictures! It was a bit tough to keep stirring and take photo’s along with the munchkins helping!)
8. Remove from heat and let dough cool. Then turn onto a work surface and kneed several times until soft, pliable and smooth.
Now what to do with your play dough?
Thumper loves to roll, cut and poke it currently!
Woody has been into spelling words so I set him to work sounding out words I gave him and having him form them.
From here he decided to come up with his own words and then into a whole sentence all on his own! (Yes I might be a tad proud of this one!)
We have also been using our play dough for number practice as well.
Another fun idea – play dough monsters!