This recipe comes just in time for some fun holiday baking! I found it at Lauren’s Latest. The base is the same as in the lemon cookies I featured HERE. This recipe is a great one to let the munchkins get involved in. The only catch I found was in the baking.
DON’T over bake! (watch carefully and err on the side of undercooked!)
Ready to give it a try? Here is a quick rundown of the steps.
Step 1 – SMASH the candy canes. I only had mini candy canes on hand so we did 10. Thumper didn’t believe me at first when I told him to have at it with the hammer! By the end he was having so much fun the other two munchkins had to come give it a go too!
Step 2 – Mix the ingredients
Step 3 – Scoop and roll in powdered sugar
Step 4 – Bake to perfection
Candy Cane Crinkles
adapted from : Lauren’s Latest
- 10 mini candy canes crushed (or 3 big ones)
- 1/2 cup Butter Softened
- 1 cup Sugar
- 1/2 tsp. Vanilla Extract
- 1 egg
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. Baking Powder
- 1/8 tsp. Baking Soda
- 1 1/2 cups All-purpose Flour
- 1/2 cup Powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Crunch up candy canes and set aside
- Cream butter and sugar together until light and fluffy
- Next add in vanilla and egg. Scrapes sides of bowl and mix again.
- In second bowl mix dry ingredients together excluding the powdered sugar.
- Add dry ingredients to mixer and mix until just combined. Scrape sides and mix again for a second.
- Stir in crushed candy canes
- Place powered sugar in bowl
- Roll a heaping teaspoon of dough into a ball. Then roll in powered sugar.
- Place on baking sheet and repeat with remaining dough
- Bake for 9-11 minutes or until the bottoms begin to barely brown and cookies look matte (not melty or shiny).
- Remove from oven and cool cookies for about 3 minutes before moving to cooking rack.