Items you will need:
- 23 1/2″ x 11″ panels – cut one from exterior fabric, one from interior fabric, and one from heavy sew interfacing
- 7 1/2″ x 11″ panel – cut one from crayon pocket fabric
- 16″ x 19″ panels – cut one from notebook pocket fabric, one from lightweight fusible interfacing
- 1 Pony tail hair elastic
- 1 Button
Note: I allowed for 1/2″ seam allowances.
- Press the fabric.Fuse the lightweight interfacing to the wrong side of the notebook pocket panel.
- Make the crayon pocket:Fold the crayon pocket fabric in half with the right side out, so that it measures 3 3/4″ x 11″ and press.Topstitch 1/8″ along the fold.
- Attach the crayon pocket:Pin the crayon pocket to the right side of the interior (23 1/2″ x 11″) fabric, unfinished long edges together (I put mine on the left side so that it would fold up over the notebook instead of being the outside layer when folded up).Stitch along the bottom of the pocket and interior panel at 1/4″.Starting at 1 1/2″, sew lines for the crayons (I have found that 1 inch works well–it also provides for 10 crayons). Starting from the bottom of the pocket and sewing toward the top will decrease the chance for puckering.
- Make the notebook/misc. paper pocket:Fold the notebook pocket fabric in half with the wrong side out, so that it measures 9 1/2″ x 16″.Topstitch 1/2″ along the right hand side of the fabric with the fold at the top.Trim the corner and turn right side out and make sure the corner comes out square.Press flat.Topstitch 1/8″ along the fold at the top.
- Attach the notebook/misc. paper pocket:Pin the notebook pocket to the right side of the interior (23 1/2″ x 11″) fabric, unfinished sides together. The finished (left) side of the pocket should measure 8″ from the left side of the panel.Stitch along the bottom of the notebook pocket and interior panel at 1/4″.Sew the left side of the notebook pocket to the interior panel at 1/8″.Sew a second line 3/4″ to the right of the previous seam (for a pencil or pen pocket).Sew the right hand side of the pocket to the interior panel at 1/4″.
- Attach the covered pony tail elastic:Place the pony tail elastic to the front of the pocket 5 1/2″ high at 1/4″ in on the right hand side. The larger portion of the hair elastic should be facing the left of where it is sewn in place. Make sure that it is sewn well for reinforcement.
- Putting it together:Pin the interior and exterior panels, right sides together, with the heavy interfacing on bottom. Sew a 1/2” seam all the way around, leaving a 3” opening on the top.Trim the corners.Turn right side out, and poke the corners out.Press flat. Especially pay attention to the opening to make sure that it is straight.Close the gap by topstitching all the way around the edge 1/8″.Stitch a vertical line along the edge of the left hand side of the pencil/pen holder from top to bottom.Measure 6 1/4″ from the left edge of the notebook pocket (the right side of the pencil/pen holder) and sew a second line from top to bottom.
- Placing the button:Place the notebook in it’s place and crayons in theirs. Fold the notebook cover with the crayons against the notebook, so that the elastic fastener is on the outside.Mark where you want the button to be placed. Carefully sew it on (by hand) making sure that you don’t accidentally fasten any of the pockets inside together.